The first thing we needed to do was take down a few walls and strip off all the old plasterboard and ceilings....
This was the hall after the first evening of demolishing. The hall is going completely and becoming part of the living room, which is how it was originally.
Thankfully we have a handy helper who we can put to work doing all the tidying up!
We had to move all the contents of the old house into the new bit and now it looks like a very disorganised junk shop!
Once we removed the top layer of plasterboard we uncovered a treasure trove of wallpapers from throughout the 20th Century (a detailed post of the wallpaper time capsule to follow!)
There is a new roof to go on and lots of new insulation to keep the place nice and warm, it's a shame we have to cover up the lovely structure of the roof but it will be worth it for the extra heat!
Our stud walls were all originally tongue and groove so we have taken the wood off and hope to be able to reuse it as much as possible.
We decided to reinstate the wall between the front room and the old dining room at the back but rather than just re tongue and groove it all we thought a window would look nice. We had a look on gumtree and managed to find this one which just happens to fit almost perfectly in the gap that used to be the hall! It has a broken pane but I'm hoping it won't be too hard to fix.
Although we have been spending most evenings and weekends demolishing, pulling out nails and stripping wallpaper, a tasty hot chocolate and the promise of a much warmer house makes it all worthwhile!